The Small Projects Foundation
Making meaning. Taking action. Changing lives.
25:40 OVC Canzibe
Caring for orphans and vulnerable children in Canzibe & Nyandeni Local Municipalities
Our main objective is to develop and foster programmes to provide educational assistance, skills training, nutrition, health care assistance and to ensure support & protection for OVCs living in 24 villages in Ward 23 of Canzibe.
An aftercare and pre-school programme, Masonwabe Aftercare, is currently running at the mission and we are seeking funding for more aftercares in the area. We are developing a database & register of OVCs which will ensure proper referrals and regular home visits are taking place. We carry out these activities in conjunction with the work being done by the Khusuleka Trauma and Sexual Abuse Centre that was set up at the mission, as well as the Child Support Group and two Women and Childcare Forums that are active in the area.
Ten of our Community Healthcare Workers are carrying out the activities. We secured funding through IDT which pays a monthly stipend. Our CHWs duties are split between the OVC programme and doing lay counselling to clients visiting the Khusuleka Centre.
The vision of Khusuleka Centre, which means to be protected, is for people to have the psychological, emotional, and physical support they need in order to heal from their trauma. To create a safe & supportive environment for survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse and the HIV/AIDS pandemic, and to eradicate sexual violence in the area.
This 25:40 OVC programme will be registered as an independent NPO. A constitution in the name of ’25:40 Children’s Alliance’ has been developed & approved by the funder and is ready to be submitted to DSD.
Our achievements so far
- We developed an OVC database and ward based plan.
- We established two women and childcare forums.
- We assisted 120 OVCs assisted with the materials they need to establish nutrition gardens.
- We carried out awareness and prevention campaigns in the community & at taverns in the area.
- We uplifted existing aftercares in the area, at Lujizweni, Manyosana and Nomadolo villages, using a best practice model.
- We carried out mapping to determine resources & establish who is doing what in the area.
- To date we have assisted and supported 82 abused clients. These include 33 child abuse cases, 40 women abuse cases and 14 clients suffering from trauma.
- We identify an average of 17 OVCs per month, which works out to 204 children per annum.